So, sometimes our family gets down to that last week and the grocery budget is almost as much as is in my kid's piggy banks...this is one of those meals that is super cheap and actually pretty nutritious and quick and easy to make too. add a simple green salad and you have a terrific, filling meal.
that being said, this is also one of our favorite meals to make regardless of where we are in the month. :)
try this out... and i'd also love to hear some of YOUR favorite bean dishes!
- 3 Cans of Beans (whichever your preference... we enjoy pinto) OR 6 Cups prepared beans
- 3/4 t salt
- 3/4 t garlic powder
- ~ 1 Cup Shredded Cheese (whatever you have on hand, we like a mexican blend, but have used all sorts when we get down to the bottom of the grocery budget ;)
- some water
- Drain and rinse canned beans and then place in a skillet with a little bit of the water on medium heat.
- sprinkle your salt and garlic powder (and other seasonings if you wish) on top.
- using a fork, mash your beans adding water as you mash for the desired consistency that your family prefers :)
- when all the beans are mashed and the way you want them, add in your cheese and stir.
- 2 C rice uncooked
- 3 -4 cups water (depending on the rice, white: use 3, brown: use close to 4)
- 1-2 Cups salsa
- Cook your rice (simple, right?)
- Stir in your salsa
serve your rice and then put your beans on top :) sprinkle a bit of extra cheese and away you go!
(These beans are also PERFECT for making burritos. When I find that PERFECT recipe for tortillas i'll post that too.)
Everyone in our family loves this one...
I got the basis of the recipes and then altered them to our families liking from Crystal's I Can't Believe It's Food Storage over at www.everydayfoodstorage.net and from Miserly Mom's, the book :)