- 4 tsp olive oil (sometimes we just use coconut oil)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 5-6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained (or equivalent cooked beans)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 C chicken broth (I was so excited to use my own :)
- 3/4 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1/2 C water (i actually omitted this and loved it)
- 2 T finely chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4-5 cups hot. cooked rice
- in medium sauce pan saute peppers, onions and garlic in the oil for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- stir in beans, tomatoes, chicken broth, thyme, bay lear, oregano, and water and bring to a boil.
- reduce to simmer and stir occasionally until sauce thickens (about 30-45 minutes)
- serve over rice and garnish with cilantro
We got rave reviews from everyone except tj on this one (but he's the super picky, gag on everything kinda kid lately...) I even asked if this was one to add into our monthly rotation (see here on my monthly meal planner :) sb replied we should have it every week! This is also another great one for our joseph who is allergic to eggs, wheat, dairy, corn, soy, peanuts, and dog... not that we eat dog... but he can eat this for sure :)
this is from melskitchencafe blog... if you haven't checked her out yet i strongly urge/suggest/admonish whatever... go... do it... you won't regret what you find!